Summer is coming to an end. For some, this may be cause for celebration, but for many others, the end of summer is a melancholy time. As we move into the autumn months, now is the time to prepare your home and yard for the winter months ahead.
Below is our home prep checklist to help you protect your home and avoid any damages down the road. You can also download our free printable.
- Clean & inspect your windows
- Give your rooms a fresh coat of paint
- Check your installation
- Change out your air filters
- Clean out your gutters
- Inspect your furnace (and call someone if it isn’t working properly).
- Check and clean out your fireplace
- Repair your driveway
- Clean off & cover your outdoor furniture
- Winterize your air conditioner
- Wrap your trees
- Check your snowblower
- Shampoo your carpets
- Inspect your roof for any damage
- Clean & protect your deck
- Add or replace weather strips on exterior doors
- Hose out your garbage & recycling cans
- Clean your chimney
- Insulate exposed pipes
- Clean out the vents in your home
- Rake up leaves off your lawn
- Inspect outdoor lighting & replace light bulbs
- Check handrails to make sure they aren’t loose
- Confirm you have salt or cat litter to put on slippery areas of your driveway & steps
- Pull out or build a 2nd mailbox to use if snow gets too deep
- Check the batteries in all your smoke alarms
What are some of the things you do around your home and yard to prepare for winter? Share your tips and insights below in the comments.